I love a good mug cozy. They dress up any boring cup, keep your beverage warmer for longer, and are just fricking cute.
There are loads of cozy patterns out there, but none quite like this...
You will need:
Crochet hook, size H
1 inch button
Worsted weight yarn (here I'm using Bernat Super Value in Aqua -Composition: 100% acrylic; Solids Weight: 7 oz; 335 yds)
Stitches: Chain, slip stitch, single crochet, double crochet, popcorn stitch.
Don't know the popcorn stitch? Here's a great tutorial:
Note, for my cozy, I did a popcorn stitch with 5 double crochet, and 'closed' each popcorn stitch with a slip stitch before moving on.
1) Chain 3. Join to form loop.
2) Chain 3. Double crochet into loop 11 times to form a total of 12 DC (including chain 3)
3) Chain 3. DC at base of chain 3. 2DC into each DC around, for a total of 24 DC (including chain 3).
4) Chain 3. DC at base of chain. 1 DC in next DC. 2DC into next DC. Repeat 1DC, 2DC around to total 36 DC (including chain 3)
5) Chain 1. SC in each DC around for a total of 35 SC.
6) Chain 3. DC in each SC around (back loop only) for a total of 36 DC (including chain 3). Join to chain 3 with slip stitch.
7) Chain 3. Popcorn stitch into 1st DC. Slip stitch into next DC. Repeat around for a total of 16 popcorn stitches. There should be 3 DC from previous round left within which you will not stitch.
8) Chain 1. Turn. 2SC (in the front loop of your slip stitch only) for every popcorn stitch. Basically stitch wherever you can catch either a slip stitch in between popcorn stitches or the popcorn stitch itself. This row is just to get you back to the other side. It doesn’t need to be exact. Just make sure you end up with 2SC for every popcorn stitch so the total SC count is 32 by the end of the round.
9) Chain 3. Popcorn stitch into 1st SC. SS in next sc. Repeat around for a total of 16 popcorn stitches.
10) Repeat step 8
11) Repeat step 9
12) Repeat step 8
13) Chain 1. Turn. SC into each SC, back loop only, for a total of 32 SC.
14) Chain 9. SC into base of chain (this is to form the loop that goes around the button.
15) SC around open edge of cozy (where handle of mug will stick out) to form clean border.
16) End at corner opposite button loop. Tie off yarn. Sew on button.